Smart Assign is a feature of OurCards that automatically assigns people from your family tree to cards, in a structured and intelligent way.
In order to use Smart Assign, you must:
- Import your family tree from Ancestry or MyHeritage (other genealogical sites will be compatible with Smart Assign later).
- Define a focal (primary) person for your deck (very often, it’s a parent or grandparent of yours).
- Indicate which card you’d like that focal person assigned to.
- Indicate what content you’d like displayed on each card – simply their name and photo only or their full complement of genealogical data (birth year, spouse’s name, parents’ names, etc.).
Once you’ve completed those 4 steps and clicked “Assign”, Smart Assign will identify the people closest to the primary person (spouse, children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren, etc.) and automatically assign them to cards. It’s smart, because it picks up those relationships from the file you imported from your genealogy site.
Please note – there are a couple of things you should note about Smart Assign:
- Smart Assign doesn’t always assign all 52 cards. Families are unique, and our logic can only identify so many relationships. Therefore, after the assignment logic is complete, you may have fewer than 52 cards assigned. If that’s the case, you can manually assign the rest.
- Smart Assign will overwrite any prior assignments you made – if you’ve already assigned people to cards, Smart Assign will remove them and attempt to reassign a new person to every card.
- Other than the primary person you’ve identified, people are assigned to cards in a largely random order. Don’t worry, you can reassign them if you’d like to. Just use the COPY/PASTE feature after Smart Assign completes.
- Occasionally the file you import from Ancestry or MyHeritage does not have all the available links to support the “Smart Assignment” logic. That’s okay, those people are still imported, you’ll just need to assign them manually.
- We’ve found that after using Smart Assign, it’s good practice to review the list of people that are not assigned to cards to make sure the most important people in your family appear in your finished deck.
- OurCards’ Smart Assign is different from its Auto Assign feature. Here’s info on Auto Assign